Friday, October 9, 2020

Crescent City (House of Earth and Blood #1) by Sarah J. Maas

 

Title: Crescent City 

Author: Sarah J. Maas

Rating: 4/5

So overall, I liked this book. I know Maas is the queen of re-using plot lines and tweaking them for different situations but I will still read her books anyway. Does this read a lot like ACOTR and TOG? Yes. Did I still like it? Yes. Is it a work of literary genius? No. But does anyone really go into these books and expect marvels of literature? If you do, then you should probably look at your viewpoint.

Anyway, in this new series we are introduced to Crescent City and its penchant for slavery, violence and overall "cityness". I will say this about Maas' writing: she is an expert of world-building. I can always visualize what her cities/towns/kingdoms look like and it really brings me into the story. HoEaB is no exception. Even though it is a fantasy book, I could relate what I was reading to the real world and could see this being any other major city if we all lived in a fantasy world.

I just wish she put as much effort into the characters as she does with the world.

We again have the female who is "sassy" and the males who are jerks (sometimes, though they do get better). Unfortunately there isn't much character building until the last part of the book where we start finding out everyone's secrets. And this is only book one so I'm hoping some of the side characters can get some more spotlight and that we get more depth from Bryce and her friends/family.

I don't want to say too much because every little detail could give away something. So...I recommend this book to Maas lovers, and those who love good world-building along with a pretty decent plot.

#books #reading #sarahjmaas #fantasy #bookreview 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Home Before Dark by Riley Sager

  Title: Home Before Dark Author: Riley Sager Rating πŸ“–πŸ“–πŸ“–πŸ“– / 5 Thank you Riley Sager for making a comeback!  I’ve been a fan of Mr. Sager...